Vision is one of the best gifts granted to us. We tend to take this for granted. When our eyesight starts giving trouble that is when we realize its value. Like exercise is essential to maintain a healthy body, the same is true for the eyes too. The eyes can be affected by many problems astigmatism, color blindness, cataract, conjunctivitis, glaucoma and various others. Many of them would have to be treated with oral medication, surgeries or other methods like use of external aids such as spectacles and contact lenses. Having said this it is also true that many types of eye problems can be avoided to a large extent by taking care of the eyes and many problems can be corrected with methods used to improve eyesight. Blessed are those who have good Eye Sight. But the others need not worry as eyesight can be improved to a certain extent by following some simple tips. Some eye exercises which would help in distressing the eyes and improve eyesight are given below:
1. Sit in an upright position and rub your palms till they become warm and then hold it against your closed eyes. This will help in relaxing the eyes. Practice deep breathing while doing this exercise. Repeat it a number of times.
2. Rolling your eyes clockwise and anti-clockwise helps the eyes. Remember to blink in between every repetition.
3. Focus on an object close to you for sometime and then look at an object that is beyond it. Now again focus on the object close by. This helps in focusing on a close object, shifting focus and then again focusing close by.
4. People who tend to watch too much of television or those who work long hours using the computer also face eye problems. It is important to look away for sometime every half and hour and focus on some object far off. This reduces the strain on the eyes.
5. A healthy diet also plays an important role in shaping your eyesight. A diet rich in Vitamin A, C and E helps in reducing the chances of contracting cataract or being affected by eye problems like macular degeneration.
If the exercises are done regularly and a balance diet is maintained one can to a large extent maintain good eyesight and improve Eye Sight that has just started giving trouble. The exercises mentioned do not consume much time and can be accommodated in any busy schedule. A little time spared for your eyes will go a long way in having good eyesight.
The 20/20, is a term one would have heard so many times when it comes to discussing eyesight. What exactly is a 20/20 vision? The clarity of one’s vision is usually tested at a primary level using a Snellen eye chart. The standard method of reading the chart is from a distance of 20 feet. A 20/20 vision indicates that the person can read the chart from a distance of 20 feet and this is what is visible to a person with normal Eye Sight from 20 feet away. The same can also be termed as 6/6 vision when the distance is calculated in meters. Though 20/20 is labeled as the perfect vision one can have eyesight which is above that. The maximum clarity till recently was thought to be vision which is 20/10 but most recent studies have shown eyesight better than 20/8. There are birds such as hawks and owls which have visions that are much sharper than humans. Birds like hawks are said to have a vision which is 20/2.
There are many who do not have the so called perfect 20/20 vision which is considered most favorable by physicians. People suffer from many an eye problem like near-sightedness, far sightedness and complications such as astigmatism. 20/20 cannot be said to be the perfect eyesight but just a measure that is considered normal. It actually is only a way of denoting the vision acuity from a particular distance. It is only a basic measure of vision. But there are various other factors that affect the visual ability of a person like the side or peripheral vision, perception of depth, coordination of the eyes, the ability to focus and the color vision. All these factors together contribute to the actual visual ability of an individual.
Persons suffering from many vision problems can get the same corrected by the use of glasses or contact lenses. Some people also suffer from eye diseases which can be treated with ocular medication. A comprehensive eye examination can determine the exact problem and the necessary treatment option can be adopted. A very popular way of treating many an eye problem today is the Lasik surgery. The laser surgery is very effective and has proved beneficial to many and a large number of those who suffered from vision complications have been blessed with a 20/20 vision and Lasik surgery has proved to be beneficial and a boon to many.